Wednesday 11 April 2012

Breakfast at Orocco Pier

Scottish weather. I have come to accept its dubious ways. It's all you can do really.

We had planned a wonderful day trip to Nothumberland in the hopes of a delicious lunch and some photographic opportunities.

As I rose at 6.30am (a good 3 to 4 hours earlier than I am used to) I peered out the window to find rain. Rain and grey. Clouds and cold. I checked the Facebook event to see if it had been cancelled, but no- The adventurous bunch we are had decided to proceed.

I rugged myself up in layers of cold and wet-proof clobber, grabbed my camera and my umbrella and headed out into the soggy abyss.

As I reached Princes Street my phone rung, 'Have you left the house yet?'. So at very late notice, the trip had been cancelled.

I was awake, made up, and full of coffee, if nothing else I was going to get breakfast. Alas, the crew loved this idea, and were on their way to pick me up. By this time it was raining and snowing, at the same time... something called sleet apparently- I don't like sleet. But my chariot arrived and we were off to somewhere called Orocco Pier for breakfast, a recommendation by Miss L, one of her favourites.

Located in South Queensferry, Orocco Pier is a lovely restaurant with the most stunning views of the water and both bridges.


You can imagine how stunning this would look on a glorious, (albeit rare) sunny day.

So now we were warm and dry we accessed the menu. Full Scottish Breakfast including tea/coffee and juice £7.95 seemed like a fantastic choice, and good value too.

The breakfast included egg, bacon, sausage, tattie scone, tomato, fried potato (a lovely addition I thought), black pudding, haggis, toast, jam and marmalade.

The serving staff were very friendly, attentive and patient, and were very welcoming in our demands 'Can I minus the tomato and add extra bacon?'; 'oh I want to do that too'; 'I would like to keep my tomato but I don't want black pudding'.



This breakfast set the standard of how cooked breakfasts should be. The egg was perfectly cooked, the bacon delicious, again, cooked just the way I like it (medium). A perfect serving size, meaning you left full, but not bloaty. I really can't say enough about how ideal this breakfast was. Not to mention the perfect outlook, and lovely surrounds.

The coffee was freshly ground. Strong and delicious. And we were offered more tea and coffee once our cups were near empty.

I applaud Miss L on her sublime recommendation, and can see this becoming a favourite place of mine too.

No comments:

Post a Comment