Monday 21 January 2013

Monday Night At Home Dinner

My housemate and I had no idea what to make for dinner.

We had some pumpkin and she had mentioned pumpkin soup. I love pumpkin soup.

When she got home from work, I was busy watching the food network, and we both very quickly started craving dinner.

Jaide started on her pumpkin soup, by boiling pumpkin, potato and onion.

I decided I wanted a burger. So I rumaged through the kitchen to see what I had to work with. 3 sausages, some gluten free bread and some salad items... hmmmmm.

I started my defrosting my butcher-bought sausages, and taking the sausage meat out of their skins and putting in into a bowl with a small handful of rice, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper and some diced picked onions.

Having preheated the frypan (super frypan as we call it- everyone needs a perfect frypan) I sauteed some onions, then divided the sausage meat into two balls, in each ball i made a pocket and popped in a piece of cheddar cheese then fried.

After each side had been browned, I lowered the temperature then popped on a lid to allow the patties to broil. (Thanks Adam Richman and Man V Food- learning so much about burgers from your show).

While this was happening Ms J was creating a nifty dessert for us, she simply sliced some apple, wrapped in puff pastry and cinnamon sugar, basted on butter and baked. Like little apple tarte tartin-cross-apple dumplings.

To finish my burger, I glased the almost finished burgers in BBQ sauce (another MvF learnt skill), turned off the heat and let them sit on the still warm stove plate.

I toasted one piece of bread (for an open burger), spread on some sour cream, and avo, popped on the burger patty, the sauteed onion, some sliced cheddar and cucumber, plated up with salad leaves and topped with more BBQ sauce.


I'm just going to put it out there that this burger was amazing!

I think this recipe will be my new standard burger recipe for BBQs.

I had J's soup as an after-main-entree. She simple mashed the boiled veg, added stock cubes, seasoned and that was it. Topped with a blob a sour cream, some paprika and cracked pepper- it was stunning.

And the desserts, served simply with vanilla ice cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar were wonderful.






This three course meal took us under 30 mins and was amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment