Wednesday 18 October 2023

Bali 2023 Plane Eats

 Hi Everyone, welcome back! So I finally got overseas again. Very long overdue.

As promised I busily photographed my eats on my trip, and I'm going to break my blog down into manageable bites (bites, good one Berz).

This first post I'm going to focus on what I ate en route to and from Bali.

My flights were:

Hobart - Brisbane

Brisbane - Denpasar

Denpasar - Brisbane

Brisbane - Hobart.


Bye Hobart, Bye Tassie

On my first leg I was very excited to have successfully bid to win an upgrade to business class. I would be flying Virgin and this would be my first time doing business on Virgin.

For those who don't know, Virgin (and other airlines), will offer you the chance to bid for an upgrade depending on how many seats they have available. The starting bid price varies and I was very happy to have got mine for $140.

Being a business class traveler, I also got separate check in, priority boarding and priority luggage allowing me to collect my checked luggage before anyone else.

I had seat 1A and was offered drinks before take off.


Lovely, lovely legroom. I was sat next to a politician.

The seats, legroom and service was outstanding. We had our own attendant for just the 8 of us, our own toilet and all food and drink included.

You're even gorgeous from the air, Tassie.


Once in the air, more drinks were offered and cheese and bikkies.



Then we were offered a choice of hot meal from pasta or chicken curry with rice. I opted for the curry... and sparkling, because... FREE.




It was jolly delicious. It was a nice mild to medium Thai style chicken curry with some steamed Asian greens and a chocolate mousse slice. 

In the times I have flown Premium or Business I just love real crockery, real cutlery and real glass. No idea why, but I just love it.

The flight was almost too short. But not to worry, the next flight would make up for that!

An overnight layover in Brisbane before flight 2.


Hi Brisbane

My friendly pickup, Uber Hails! "Boobs" is me.



Day 2: Brisbane to Bali

Had to be up rather early for our flight. We made our way to the airport, had some standard airport cafe breakfast -no photo- and a couple of morning bubbles.



Now, it needs to be said: the two airlines that most people choose to fly from Australia to Bali are Jetstar and Virgin. We chose Virgin, firstly because of their reputation and secondly, for the same price, they are full service... or so I thought.

As I was soon to discover, Mr Branson has been pinching some pennies and has decided to become a budget carrier. Boo.

In any case, I always pay the extra for exit now seats, or Economy X. I'm 5'10 and regular seats are just too tiny for someone that continually has ants in her pants.


By this time It was fairly close to lunchtime, so I opted for one of the two hot meals available Ravioli ($15) a cookie ($5) and a Gin pre-mix ($13)

Was it hot? Yes. Was it good? No Was it good value? No


I ended up spending about $100 on food and drinks for the uncomfortable 6 and a half hour flight. I can't imagine how rough it would have been in a standard seat. Poor buggers. But we got there in the end.


The flight home from Bali was much better. Number 1, it was shorter at 5 hours. 2, I managed some micro-naps. And 3, I brought on my own food.

I had around $25 in IDR left over so thought I'd get my dinner at the airport before departure.

I don't know why more people don't take their own food on planes.

I got myself a Rueben sandwich, a white chocolate muffin and 2 lots of mentos. While onboard 2 more Gordon pre-mixes and a red wine before nap time.



Now THIS was good plane food! it must have been 9 inches or 30 cm long, stuffed with pastrami, cheese, pickled veg, slaw and mayo. It was fresh and delicious!

I didn't even get to the muffin, we each had a little nibble just because it was there.


Final thoughts:

Going forward, I think I'm going to save up a little longer and fly full-service or business, if it means I take less trips then so be it. 

Please stay tuned for my upcoming posts about our beautiful all-inclusive resort Grand Mirage and Thalasso, Japanese dinner at the Hotel Nikko and our exquisite high- tea at The Apurva Kempinski.

If you cant wait, feel free to read over my other Bali posts or other all inclusive hotel blogs.

Click for blog link

Seminyak

Sol by Melia All Inclusive

Hilton Dahab All Inclusive

1 comment:

  1. I think food tastes better with real cutlery and glass, makes it more of a meal rather than eating from a tuckshop. Thanks for the 'take your own food' hot tip!! That Rueben looked and sounded amazing.

    ReplyDelete