Monday 7 July 2014

E'cco Bistro

The second of July was this blogger's birthday, and also the one year anniversary of the Supper Club.

We had decided on E'cco Bistro on Boundary Street in Brisbane, and met just prior to 7 for a pre-dinner drink at the lovely Gresham bar for a Whisky Sour.

As per usual, I had perused the menu before we arrived, and all three of us were so excited to get in and make our choices.

We started by ordering drinks: a half carafe of red for Miss A and Miss C to share and I started with a glass of bubbles. The waitress gave us a selection of breads to choose from.

To start, I could not go past the scallops, pork belly and mushroom in duck consomme ($24.50) . It was all of my favourite things in one dish, and it was incredible. The scallops were fresh and sweet, the pork belly was flavoursome, and the consomme was delicately accentuated with Asian inspired flavours, the ginger was divine.

Miss C also went for this option and Miss A had decided to get the gnocchi with prosciutto and clams ($24.50). The gnocchi was absolutely breath-taking. These two entrees were by far, two of the best I have ever tried.



For main I decided on the slow-cooked wagyu short rib ($42.50) served with pumpkin puree, swiss brown mushroom and chestnuts.

The meat was rich, and cooked to perfection, the puree sweet and all of the extras were delectable. This was a great choice for a mid-winter's eve main. I loved every second of it.


Miss C had the eye-fillet of beef with char-grilled vegetables ($42.50) which looked divine, and Miss C looked and sounded very happy with her choice.


We also ordered a side of greens and a side of chips and aioli ($8.50 each). Miss A and I always get the chips, and it always drives Miss C crazy cause we never get close to finishing them.

What can I say? I am really intrigued with chips. I've had great chips and really bad chips in both greasy spoons and top restaurants, you can just never pick what you are going to get.

In this instance they were seasoned immaculately and perfectly crisp, but I do believe they were from a packet.

Miss A was kind enough to let me try a bit of her lamb- porcini crusted with mushrooms and leeks ($42.50). It was very impressive.

I really believe that E'cco has their winter menu perfected.

With my main I also treated myself to the Bindi premium pinot noir ($25 glass). I really enjoyed its lightness (as I am not much of a red drinker), however Miss C, who only drinks red, didn't rate it at all.


The dessert menu was platinum, and we were all certain that we would be happy with out choices.

Miss C chose the affogato ($17.50):

I got the milk sago with passionfruit sorbet and rum bananas ($16.50). When I used to work in a Leagues club years and years ago, the kitchen used to make sago for the oldies, that's where I first fell in love with it, and have loved it ever since, even making it myself. The texture can turn people off though (fish eyeballs).

I loved everything about this dessert, it was fruity and tropical, not too sweet, I loved the varying textures and flavours.



Miss A loves peanut butter and chocolate and this dessert was obviously made with her in mind. She loved every bite. Chocolate brownie, peanut butter mousse and dark chocolate ice cream ($17.50).


Overall, a very enjoyable night.

The restaurant and service is refined but still has a casual air. The menu had something that each of us truly loved.

Would really like to go back in either spring or summer to try a change in the seasonality of the menu.




A great big thank you to Miss C for taking the photos and thus allowing me to enjoy a few birthday drinks.


E'cco Bistro
100 BOUNDARY STREET, (CORNER ADELAIDE STREET), BRISBANE, QLD 4000 (07) 3831 8344 MAIL@ECCOBISTRO.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment